Friday, January 15, 2010

Just Something She Made

I think this is one of the greatest craft projects I've seen in a while. I stumbled upon Cathe Holden's blog Just Something I Made and am so happy I did. Look at this gorgeous project. Self admittedly, I am a jewelry junkie...but I can think of so many other cute ways to incorporate this idea. Here's Cathe's tutorial on the project an her images from the JSIM blog. LOVE. IT.

Faux Engraved Jewelry from Acrylic Stamps from Cathe Holden:
"To make my pieces, I first ordered the sampler set of bezel settings from Etsy seller dasb56. When they arrived, I carefully measured the inside area of each bezel. I designed my images in Adobe Illustrator to size with the engraved area white and the raised area black."

"Before committing to the sizes, I first printed the images out onto cardstock to place in the settings to make sure I had a good fit."

"I then emailed a PDF file of the images to a local B&M North Coast Stamps (they also do web orders if you don’t have a local shop near you!). I requested the stamps un-cut. My order was ready the same day. Set up this way, the individual image/stamps averaged just over $3 a piece. When placing an order like this, be certain to explain what you are making and that you do not want the image mirrored as with traditional rubber stamps, since you won’t be stamping with them. I cut out each individual stamp image, double checked their fit into their settings and trimmed as necessary."

"I used enamel paint to coat each piece, Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic for the black and red and Testors paint for model painting for the blue and silver. Once dry, I used acrylic paint to enhance the engraved areas of some by filling the area well and wiping the surface clean. I gave each piece a final finishing coat of clear matte enamel spray and glued each stamp into its setting with Super Glue."
Below are Cathe's beautiful finished pieces. Gorgeous!

No comments: